[ALAC] Red Cross/IOC - Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 19 23:23:03 UTC 2012

The two were linked because the GAC asked for both at the same time
and gave a related rationale for both. I am not sure there is
anything deeper in it than that.

The PDP, presuming one is started, may well decide that they deserve
different levels of protection. They are certainly different sorts of beasts!

I would, however be careful with how we label them. The IOC certainly
tries to maximize sponsorship, broadcasting and licensing revenue,
but in the eyes of many, that is not their raison d'etre. [I do go on
record as noting that during the recent Olympics, the only thing I
watched was part of the closing ceremony when I was visiting
relatives who had it on in their living room, so I am certainly not
one of their more ardent supporters.]

Alan