[ALAC] Thick Whois PDP

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:19:53 UTC 2012

Dear All,

For consideration of the working group:

Given the GNSO Council Motion which I have copied below where it was
resolved that the Thick Whois PDP would be delayed following the first GNSO
Council meeting after 30 November 2012, I thought I would suggest the
following:-

   - Preparing and Receiving Community Input;
   - Analysis of Recommendations made by the Whois Review Final Report;
   - Channelling issues raised within the At Large on Thick Whois into the
   Wiki space;
   - Requesting for feedback on current studies carried out by GNSO and
   give input into current studies being carried out.

*20120412 - 1*

Motion to delay the 'thick' Whois Policy Development Process

Whereas the GNSO Council requested an Issue Report on 'thick' Whois at its
meeting on 22 September 2011 (see http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#201109
);

Whereas a Preliminary Issue Report on 'thick' Whois was prepared by staff
and posted on 21 November 2011 for public comment (see
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-21nov11-en.htm);

Whereas a Final Issue Report on 'thick' Whois was published on 2 February
2012 (see
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/final-report-thick-whois-02feb12-en.pdf);

Whereas the Final Issue Report recommends that the GNSO Council proceed
with a Policy Development Process limited to consideration of the issues
discussed in this report, and the General Counsel of ICANN has indicated
the topic is properly within the scope of the ICANN policy process and
within the scope of the GNSO;

Whereas the GNSO Council initiated a Policy Development Process at its
meeting of 14 March 2012 (seehttp://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#20120314-1);

Whereas at its wrap up session on 15 March, taking into account the current
workload of the GNSO community, the GNSO Council voiced support for a delay
in the start of the PDP until both ICANN staff and GNSO resources are
available to deal with this.

THEREFORE BE IT:

Resolved, the next step (creating a drafting team to develop a charter) of
the 'thick' Whois PDP will be delayed until the first GNSO Council meeting
after 30 November 2012.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Sala

--