[ALAC] Red Cross/IOC - Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Sep 19 06:02:59 UTC 2012

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the heads up. Your approach and rationale sound quite reasonable.

I am reminded of the work done that led to this:

*- In recent statements, the ALAC has been more sympathetic with the case
> of the Red Cross than with the IOC. However, the two are firmly linked at
> this time (although they could be delinked in a future
> PDP), so the only way to offer protection to the RC is to do it to both
> organizations.*

In my personal opinion, ICANN's senseless refusal to delink does not negate
the need to continue to maintain these are two separate issues. At one
level, I feel strongly enough about it that if forced the choice to protect
both or neither, I would advocate to choose neither -- so convinced am I
regarding the harm done by protecting the IOC, based on our previous work.
But this approach sounds unlikely to gain traction ICANN-wide, so what you
propose is OK with me as a second choice.

- Evan