[ALAC] [At-Large] ICANN Launches Accountability Structures Expert Panel, Seeks Community Input

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:55:37 UTC 2012

Evan.

You are correct about the level of skills, talents that are already within
ICANN itself. However for the purposes of having a review, kind of like an
"auditing", there is always the option to conduct "internal audits" and "ex
internal audits".

Whilst having a review done "Inhouse" has its uses, for a body that
facilitates objectives pertaining to the key internet policy spaces where
the world is the "beneficiary", it follows that there is a need for a
review to be carried out "externally".

The Accountability and Structure Review process is a critical aspect of
evaluating and assessing ICANN's operations so that much like having a
mirror, it can work towards constant improvements, development and growth.
If the pool of Experts conducting the review were sourced from inside,
there is a far greater likelihood that due to "friendships, networks,
shared interests etc" that the Report could be "biased". In a global policy
environment, structures, processes have far greater legal, equitable,
socio-cultural, economic, political impact on the quality of policies that
are produced.

This no doubt includes substantive technical input, enabling mechanisms to
continually allow for diversity into the policy spaces etc. The Affirmation
of Commitments and Bylaws recognise this.

The issue is not about ICANN trusting its community because it already does
through the enormous work in various Supporting organisations, advisory
committees, working groups, task forces, cross constituency groups etc. The
integrity of the evaluation lies in the ability to minimise risks of
apprehension of bias, reasonable bias, bias etc.

Kind Regards,
Sala