[ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] VOTE RESULTS: ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2013/Delegados del ALAC votantes ante el NomCom 2013

Dev Anand Teelucksingh admin at ttcsweb.org
Thu Sep 13 13:37:22 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I have read the explanation of the 2012 Nomcom vote results and I
realise this unique situation has never happened before.

Rule 10 of our ALAC RoP
(https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Rules+of+Procedure)
covers the election of ALAC officers which is done by Instant Runoff
Voting which was how the Nomcom vote was being conducted (allbeit with
only 2 candidates).

Here are the key sections from Rule 10 ( https://community.icann.org/x/rLbbAQ ):

10.4 Instant-runoff voting (IRV) will be used as the voting system to
determine the winner. (ref - Wikipedia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting )
10.5 Voters rank ALL candidates in order of preference.

10.6 If no candidate receives an overall majority of first preferences
the candidates with fewest votes are eliminated one by one, and their
votes transferred according to their second and third preferences (and
so on), until one candidate achieves a majority.

10.10 If two or more candidates receive the same, highest number of
preferences, a runoff election is to be conducted.

10.10.1 The Chair will select a new date and time for the runoff
election, at least 7 (seven) days  after the  previous vote has
concluded. in  this vote, only the candidates that received the same,
highest number of preferences will be eligible. The Chair will then
immediately send a new “election summary” message according to rule
9.4, and the procedure will then restart from rule 9.5

As per Rule 10.6 and the Wikipedia reference to preference voting (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting#Process),
preferential voting works when there are 3 or more candidates. With
two candidates, both having equal number of first preference votes,
there is no candidate with the fewest first preference votes to
eliminate and to distribute their votes according to their 2nd
preference as per Rule 10.6

Unfortunately, the online system allowed ALAC members to select one
preference in contravention of Rule 10.5 which states that ALL
candidates must be ranked.

Had ALAC members fulfilled their obligations by ranking all candidates
and indicating their second preference, then the results would also be
the same as the first preference as there were only two candidates.

Thus, as per rule 10.10, since two or more candidates have receive the
same, highest number of preferences, the ALAC should conduct a runoff
election.

Kind Regards,

Dev Anand Teelucksingh
Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society