[ALAC] Analysis of WHOIS AoC RT Recommendations.

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 17:32:35 UTC 2012

Dear Alan:
A few comments to clarify my position.

1) Politics is about contending who gets what, how much and when. This is
exactly the GNSO process: raw politics by other means.

Process is all important here.  That's what is of interest to me; find the
points of intersection (between factions), conjecture (among factions) and
opportunity (for your point of view) to get your "what" satisfied. The
process that undergirds the PDP offers opportunities to cleave
interests, triangulate
and form alliances more favourable to the outcomes you seek. And, you can
message to your heart's content.

2) If we agree that running a company enjoins  basic principles of action
that need not be crowd-sourced, then in this context, your ideas about what
the Board can do without reverting to the crowd - even a tailor-made one
like the GNSO - for thumbs up coincides nicely with mine. See your list.  I
believe Rinalia agrees with you as well, save that she suggests these are
explicitly enumerated.

No 'on-the-one-hand-but-on-the other-hand' confusion, in other words.

I tend to agree with her, especially as we're not taking a position that is
ahistorical. The truth is there is a significant set of the interests
located  in the GNSO that believes that all ICANN policy pertaining gTLDs
shall be provenanced - must originate, uni-directional flow; I want to
convey that specific sense in meaning - from the GNSO.   Lest we forget,
the GNSO does not now house all the interests pertaining gTLDs.

Finally, if that idea is embraced, one could reasonably be left to
contemplate this: Get on the ICANN Board because it is a gravy train; live
it up, do nothing until you're told what to do.  That way nobody can hold
you accountable!  Blame the ne'er-do-wells  in that tailor-made crowd
called the GNSO for the state of things, that's what you need to do!

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799