[ALAC] ALAC/At-Large Mailing Lists

Dev Anand Teelucksingh admin at ttcsweb.org
Wed Oct 24 21:12:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Alan Greenberg
<alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
> My thoughts below.  Alan
>

> At 24/10/2012 12:21 PM, Dev Anand Teelucksingh wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Alan
>>
>> the ALS Starter Kit is a document which has relevant material on the
>> public facing ALAC/At-Large mailing lists
>> https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALS+Starter+Kits (meaning
>> the ALAC_internal and ALAC Excom lists are not mentioned)
>>
>> Re: the At-Large and ALAC_announce lists, I think both lists need to
>> be kept as these lists serve different purposes.
>>
>> * The ALAC_announce list - all ALS representatives are added to this
>> list by At-Large Staff when their ALS is formally accredited by ALAC
>> and is the primary channel by which ALSes are informed on
>> ALAC/At-Large activity by At-Large Staff and the ALAC chair.
>

> Can individuals subscribe as well?

suggests that anyone can subscribe.

>> * The At-Large list - Anyone on the list can post on any topic
>> (typically ICANN policy issues) for others to comment on. I believe
>> that  ALS representatives and ALAC members are NOT added automatically
>> but can "manually' join if they know how to.
>>
>> Re: ALAC Excom....a bigger question is the necessity of the Excom list
>> - shouldn't policy discussions on the Excom list be on the ALAC list?
>> IF Excom calls are open to ALAC members, shouldn't the Excom call
>> announcements also be on the ALAC list?
>

> Announcing ExCom calls on the ALAC list is a good idea. Don't think in
> precludes a list for ExCom discussions.

Perhaps also the ALAC_announce list. Reviewing the emails on the ALAC
Excom list and the volume of emails indicates the need for the Excom
list.

>> Re: creating shadow lists for the ALAC and ALAC Excom - I would
>> investigate the ability to have RSS feeds for these (and for that
>> matter all At-Large WG lists and GNSO WG lists) to make it easier for
>> anyone to monitor activity.
>

> Agree RSS should be an option. Not sure that it replaces the ability to
> receive via e-mail though.

Solutions like feedmyinbox.com could alleviate that issue if RSS were
to be implemented.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh