[ALAC] GAC Communiqué from Toronto

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 22 20:29:56 UTC 2012

My recollection is that the URS does allow for names protected by
international accord but the UDRP does not. Not sure about TMCH.

Cost avoidance for exact names is likely not at that level but at
defensive registrations or reservation within TLD.

Perhaps all moot, because after all this fuss, any TLD that does not
voluntarily include these names in their reserved lists (except for
registration by the parties involved) is just looking for additional
hassles that they don't need.

Regarding the Olympic symbols/names, my recollection (which may well
be wrong) is that the symbols are protected by international
agreement but the names are protected by some national laws (and
particularly those in countries that have held the Olympics).

Alan