[ALAC] Fwd: Thoughts on Consumer Metrics for new gTLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Oct 11 17:58:19 UTC 2012

Interesting.

I disagree with the proposal to send the letter back.

The number of private domains -- and especially private domains that are
closed to public access -- should absolutely be reflected in the stats.
And, well, if that doesn't reflect too well on the results of the program
that's too darned bad.

As a matter of public interest, it is *certainly* a good thing -- and
should be required -- for an explanation to be offered on what each TLD is
and how it is allocated. Even (maybe especially) private ones.

I fully disagree with re-examining the questions because the answers may be
embarrassing or inconvenient to some. A privacy policy link takes up
valuable space on a web page but there are public interest reasons for that
too.

- Evan