[ALAC] Pre-Toronto NTIA Letter

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Oct 5 17:08:31 UTC 2012

Thanks Alan,

I have four takeaways from the letter.

   - I am appreciative of the support given the the changes at Compliance
   and note that Strickling appears to share our concerns about ICANN's
   historical (in)effectiveness in that area.

   - The emphatic and explicit support of the WHOIS RT is welcomed, as the
   GNSO prepares to churn over the issue in what could arguably be considered
   a stalling tactic. What I've seen in the GNSO WHOIS drafting team does not
   give me cause to believe that what should be obvious will be done in an
   expedient manner.

   - I am troubled with the obsession on trademark protection as the
   primary protection against fraud. ICANN implementations tend to go too far,
   especially when it comes to dictionary words that are also trademarks. But
   I also see so many nightmares coming for name-owners doing defensive
   registrations that I understand where they're coming from.

   - The explicit reference to "the Obama administration" is puzzling, at
   an election time. I have no idea how to read this.

- Evan