[ALAC] Fwd: [ISOC-AU-mems] itNews: 'Europe slams WHOIS data demands'

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:11:40 UTC 2012

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the forward. Yes, this is precisely the challenges that will
explode if the SSAC advice is not followed. ICANN cannot afford to
politically isolate nor provoke European Governments by enforcing Policies
that encourage the breach of EU laws or directives and the same can be said
for other countries.

In order to mitigate the risk(s), the Board would exercise wisdom in
ensuring that these conflicts are minimised and handled. A clear logical
way to do that is to observe the SSAC's advice on the matter.

Otherwise, aside from the BRIC countries, you will also see the European
Commission pushing for the Internationalization of ICANN which we can
assume the US Government would not want.

It would seem that a Registration Data Policy as a precursor to proposing
solutions on the matter is an extremely minor tradeoff in the matter and it
can be said that it is not a tradeoff but an opportunity.

Kind Regards,
Sala