[ALAC] GNSO Liaison Report - Prague

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 28 08:49:06 UTC 2012

I am currently at the GNSO Wrap-Up session and will join the ALAC
Wrap-up part-way through the meeting.

My Report
=========

I has been a busy but relatively calm meeting, at least compared to
the last one.

In terms of immediate actions required, the proposed ALAC statement
on the .com agreement is the only one.

The most interesting session was a review of a number of GNSO issues
with ICANN staff. It was a "jaw-dropping" session in that there were
a number of issues that most of us in the room found outrageous. The
two main issues were:

- ICANN doing significant work related to the implementation of the
Trademark Clearinghouse, including hiring a consultant to develop EPS
(Extensible Provisioning Protocol - the mechanism used for
communication the registries) extensions, all without any involvement
of or communication with registries or registrars - the ones who are
the experts in EPS and who will have to implement the results.

- The URS, one of the key protections that ICANN has been claiming to
provide security to trademark holders, has been found to be
un-implementable at the specified cost. Although the URS was
developed by a GNSO body (with involvement of ALAC), but the only
notification of this problem was that there was a line in the
proposed budget that ICANN was providing funds to hold "summits" to
attempt to resolve the issue, all without any explicit involvement of the GNSO.

- Digital Archery - well understood that the Board did not consult at all.

There has been considerable discussion on issues related to the Red
Cross/Red Crystal/International Olympic Committee, Intergovernmental
Organizations and the wider non-governmental international
organizations (and charities in particular). There are multiple
activities going on and this is an issue that will continue for some
time. It is quite controversial within At-Large and I would strongly
suggest more ALAC/At0Large involvement as the processes go forward. A
statement on the open Preliminary Issue Report will be drafted over
the next few days (AG, EL, HR).

I did not attend the bulk of the open GNSO session yesterday, as I
was in the ALAC RoP meeting. I will review the records of the meeting
and report on that on the agenda.