[ALAC] IRTP C

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 25 15:21:00 UTC 2012

I was asked to review the Initial Report of the Inter-Registrar
Transfer Policy Part C PDP WG, and recommend whether the ALAC should
comment on it, and if so, to draft a comment.

The call for comments can be found at
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/irtp-c-initial-report-04jun12-en.htm
and the Interim Report at English version of the report can be found
at
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/transfers/irtp-c-initial-report-04jun12-en.pdf
(other languages at first link).

The Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) is primarily focused on
the transfer of a registered domain name from one registrar to
another. However, at the time of Registrar Transfer, there is often
also a change of who the registrant is, yet the IRTP is silent on any
aspect of that. Since transfers of this sort are often associated
with domain hijacking, it should certainly be of concern to At-Large and ALAC.

The PDP is also looking at a number of other aspects of IRTP
including how Registrars are identified (currently some registries
use proprietary identifications).

I strongly recommend that the ALAC comment on this report and my
draft comment follows. The initial comment period closes on July 5th.

The ALAC supports the general direction that the IRTP C PDP WG is
heading. Specifically, the ALAC strongly supports all measures the
will reduce the possibility of domain hijacking while still providing
legitimate registrants the ability to change registrars.

The ALAC similarly supports all efforts to formally define the
process by which the registrant of record can be changed, with
implicit safeguards to inhibit hijacking. The ALAC does not have
strong views as to whether this needs to be a separate consensus
policy of not, but the overall results and benefits to registrants
should not be diminished by this decision.

The ALAC supports the requirement to have all gTLDs use the IANA
Registrar IDs (in addition to any proprietary ones if desired).

Lastly, the report could benefit from a clearer overview describing
the change of registrar and registrant processes.