[ALAC] Comment on proposal for the removal of existing gTLD-Registrar cross-ownership .

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Jun 6 14:30:48 UTC 2012

On 6 June 2012 03:53, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:

> thank you for your kind follow-up on this. I understand that this was
> a short comment period but have so far only see positive feedback about the
> text.

That said, I'm still ambiguous about the wording.

Apparently, we're concerned about the price cap, but not enough to affect
our approval of the policy. Tacking on "major" is IMO pointless. Either the
issue is significant enough for ALAC to make support conditional on
maintaining price controls, or it isn't. The wording of the statement
allows our advice to be comfortably accepted as "support" and the trailer
concern ignored.

The policy can be revisited after the gTLD rollout and we can determine if
monopoly power still exists.

It's not likely I would vote in favour of the statement as worded. But I'm
just one vote.

- Evan