[ALAC] [ALAC-Internal] ALAC in an evolving ICANN.

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 5 17:19:27 UTC 2012

On 5 July 2012 12:48, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> In looking at the needs over time and the fact that the structure needs to
> be simple and flexible, I think picking any one configuration can be
> difficult, unless it is the most basic.
>
> I think that the multi-region nature of ALAC is critical and the most
> basic.  If the ExecComm has real function then its structure needs to be
> representative of the regions. I think it would be problematic to not
> consider this.  Perhaps the reason only a minority spoke up to support is
> because they all thought it was basic and a given.
>
> I think the necessary functions can vary over time; the 3 you have seem
> right, but there may be others and they may need to be split  between a few
> people in times of great pressure.

Agree heartily on all of these. (and how often has THAT happened lately?
;-) )

Beyond that, I disagree on the specific grouping of the three and continue
to maintain that policy -- as a core product of At-Large -- is not just a
sub-group of structure and is in fact quite different in its deliverables,
its target audience and its human resource requirements.

The three-way split should be slightly different:

   - Communications: Community, Outreach, External Relations
   - Structure: Finance, Administration, Process, Accountability &
   Transparency
   - Policy: gTLDs, Internationalization, Accessibility, User Rights

(We do not do enough in Legal to justify it a separate realm, but
Accountability & Transparency -- which encompasses conflict-of-interest
issues -- ought to be there)

- Evan