[ALAC] Red Cross and IOC Protection under the new gTLD process

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Feb 24 21:56:13 UTC 2012

On 24 February 2012 16:41, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I have made it clear that to the extent that there have been comments
> on the issue within At-Large and ALAC, the tone has been that special
> exemptions for these bodies should not be granted. That view is
> shared by some other participants in the DT. However, it was also
> generally accepted that an exemption has already been granted and
> there is little opportunity for the GNSO to change the basic concept.

It is absolutely necessary to make clear the position that "the exemption
has already been granted" is a grotesque subversion of the
multi-stakeholder model that diminishes public respect for ICANN. This
example makes clear that the MSM can be easily dispensed when politically
difficult.

I also object to the substance of the proposal, but what is truly odious is
this method of decision making in which bad decisions are make in secret
and then stakeholders are left to determine the best way to "polish the
turd".

Personally, I disagree with our accepting a "best that we can get" fallback
position because it validates (and encourages more use of) this top-down,
opaque process. I would rather boycott this exercise in futility, but
explain why.

Or opposition to both the substance and the process of this should be clear
and unambiguous, IMO.

- Evan