[ALAC] ICANN and measurement of "consumer trust" -- yeah, right

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Sun Dec 16 05:49:21 UTC 2012

I am also inclined to support Evan here.  What disturbs the most is that what had been an open process was, according to Evan's narrative, hijacked. Major changes to documents (such as eliminating closed gTLDs) should not be done   just because someone wasn't there.  Either there is agreement - or not.

And I am also inclined to agree that it should not - from a user perspective - matter whether the new gTLD is open or closed.  The idea was to develop metrics to garner information on the success - or otherwise - of new gTLDs - full stop.  From a user perspective, it doesn't matter, so that should be the starting point.

I am interested to understand why some wanted the gTLDs not included in the metrics.  If there is a logical explanation (from a user perspective) I might be persuaded.  But if the change is the RyWG just digging heels in for no public interest reason, we should be objecting.

Maybe the next step is a fuller explanation of why ALAC should go along with metrics that don't include closed gTLDs.

Holly