[ALAC] [ALAC-Internal] ALAC in an evolving ICANN.

JJS jjs.global at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:25:17 UTC 2012

*Dear Salanieta & All,*
*
*thanks for including my remarks. A few quick comments:*
*
*
*- What's the main issue here? As already mentioned, I thought it necessary
to draw the attention of my colleagues in ALAC to a number of emerging
patterns which may affect the general Internet user, whether within ICANN
or in a wider context. My purpose was to invite us to focus on some major
challenges. In order to do this, it is my belief that we must set up
clearer lines of responsibility within the ALAC, in order to better follow
and address those wider issues. My aim was not to impose any rigid,
take-it-or-leave-it solution, such as 3 or 5 individuals with the title of
Vice-Chair, or any other title for that matter. My analysis led me to the
conclusion that we need to be more issue-oriented.*
*
*
*- Structure? The alternatives you have suggested all have merit. Regarding
the number of line leaders, the figure 5 would fit in neatly with our
regional structures, whereas a more issue-oriented approach might warrant
only 3 or 4. Whether they be entrusted to Vice-Chairs or any other
appellation is a subsidiary question. But whatever our choice, I think we
need to organize our work -and our consciousness of issues- in a more
forward-looking manner.*
*
*
*Best regards,*