[ALAC] [ALAC-ExCom] ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project -- important update

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 12 17:09:26 UTC 2011

As the person who arguably started this discussion by proposing
monitoring and subsequent possible actions several years ago (and
still bear the scars from presiding over what may be the
hottest-under-the-collar ALAC meeting on record), I would like to add
a few thoughts.

I agree that the word "sanctions" is far too strong and onerous a
word to be used here, but as Olivier has pointed out, we still need
to discuss what type of action the ALAC or perhaps the ALAC Chair or
officers) *might* take in the case of significant under-performance.
And I of course agree that we do need to be as specific as possible
in identifying ahead of time what is expected of ALAC members and
RALO officers.

There are three additional perspectives that I have not seen being
raised. In my years on and watching the ALAC, I have seen all three,
so they are not just theoretical.

- For a RALO appointed ALAC member, if the RALO is happy with their
representatives performance, perhaps the rest of At-Large should
accept that. But even if they are not, it is counter to the
personality (and cultures) of some to actually confront the person
who they often have to deal with in other contexts, and who they
often consider a friend. Having the ALAC (or a someone) do the dirty
work for them might be a safe way out of the situation.

- If an ALAC member severely under-performs, it is not just their
region that suffers. This adds to the load carried by the rest of the
ALAC. If (as sadly has been the case in some past years), a
significant percentage of the ALAC are in this category, the load on
the rest becomes ridiculous.

- The overall reputation and credibility of ALAC and At-Large can be
impacted the poor performance of just a few.

I am not proposing how we deal with such situations, but it is
important to consider all implications when we discuss what if
anything should be done other than collect and make available
performance data (as all seem to agree should be done).

Alan