[ALAC] Verisign Service Request - Malware monitoring and Malicious site takedown

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:03:52 UTC 2011

Dear Jean-Jacques,

Good point.

*- to what extent can a private company be allowed to exercise regulatory
> duties, against payment?*

Private companies, particularly ISPs and now registries/registrars, have
long been taking down intellectual property infringing websites. It is not a
surprise to extend the practices to cyber-security areas. I actually raised
this possibilities at ICANN Cybercrime Forum 2009 in Seoul. At that time,
most registries present deemed that too burdensome, although they would have
to comply with UDRP to shield trademark owners. I think it would be good if
ICANN to enact the policy not only to take care of private interests of
trademark owners but public interests against malware.

> *- the proposed mechanism carries the risk of collateral damage to
> legitimate entities and users.

Sure.

Hong

--