[ALAC] Verisign Service Request - Malware monitoring and Malicious site takedown

Jean-Jacques Subrenat jj.subrenat at welho.com
Wed Oct 12 03:46:55 UTC 2011

*Thank you Alan for pointing this out. *
*
*
*The proposal under consideration illustrates the approach of many large
companies today, calling for self-regulation to replace a proper regulatory
body acting in the public interest. We've seen how Greenspan, Paulson and
others, by playing down the regulatory duties of the US federal government
over the years, have allowed widespread disaster in the financial sector,
with incalculable consequences for taxpayers worldwide.*
*
*
*Verisign's proposal brings up questions which have been well formulated by
the commentators Alan has pointed to (Kirikos, Jeftovic) and which should
also be looked at from a (higher) policy standpoint: *
*- to what extent can a private company be allowed to exercise regulatory
duties, against payment?*
*- the proposed mechanism carries the risk of collateral damage to
legitimate entities and users.
*
*
*
*Alan, I support your call for ALAC to adopt and make known its position on
this.*
*
*
*Regards,*