[ALAC] ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project -- important update

Jean-Jacques SUBRENAT jjs.global at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 02:22:39 UTC 2011

Hello Olivier, Evan,

the question is not just about choosing "phase" or "milestone": it should be
about the way ALAC considers its role within ICANN. Let me offer a few
thoughts:

1) When to publish? It is common sense that the Final Report should be
completed before publication. However, 2 separate things should be
considered here:
* The legal or formal aspect: General Counsel's office (GCO) is right, and
common sense would also have it that a report be considered "final" when all
pending matters have been brought to a close.
* But more importantly, there is a "political" aspect as well: ALAC should
assert itself according to its own assessment of ICANN's overall situation,
and not only in reaction to the ALAC Review WG recommendations or GCO's
advice on timing. Thus, we should determine if and whether there is a need
to call the Board's and our community's attention to progress already made,
challenges ahead, and our timeline.
2) "Phase" or "milestone"? We need to take a wider and longer-term view of
things. Yes, At-Large has come a long way from (unfairly) perceived
irrelevance to being a natural partner. And yes, this progress has been
achieved by sending the right type of signals (advice requested from ALAC is
provided in a more professional and timely way, better coordination now
between different elements of At-Large...). So I would suggest that if we
want to send something to the Board now, we should do so by placing our
current work in perspective: step 1 was the ALAC Review WG's
recommendations, step 2 entailed implementing what could be done quickly,
step 3 was taking stock of the ATRT's additional layer of recommendations,
step 4 is where we are at now, and step 5 will be the Final Report. The
advantage of this (truthful) presentation is that we show we have the bigger
picture in mind, and that we're already at step 4 out of 5. If necessary, we
should also point out that, several years after the Board Review WG
recommendations (e.g. compensation for Directors), some of those latter have
still not been implemented either, so we're on an equal footing, and will
not accept people in glass houses throwing stones at us (ALAC members all
reside in yurts, so there's no risk). IT's high time that the famed
multi-stakeholder model, which implies equality, be more thoroughly
implemented within ICANN's ACs and SOs, so that advice from ALAC will be
considered equivalent to what comes, say, from the GAC.

3) Make the best use of ICANN-42 in Dakar. From Dakar onwards, the Board
will go into "sorry I can't look at that now we've got to implement new
gTLDs and search for the next CEO" mode. So Dakar is our last chance in 2011
to really get the Board's attention. But what message do we want to deliver?
IMO, we should use the joint breakfast opportunity to
* Demonstrate that ALAC, though determined to carry out ongoing obligations
(implementing the Improvement recommendations, churning out reactive
advice), is now sufficiently autonomous in its thinking to have its own,
dynamic agenda (how we expect ALAC's advice to be acted upon by the Board;
also, I'd be glad to say a few words about our FCWG)
* Offer to each member of the Board a 2-page résumé of where ALAC stands now
(we're at step 4 out of 5, what else we do, how we are now organized). The
idea is that each individual member of the Board should take away from our
breakfast, a sense that ALAC has indeed matured, and is worthy of being
heeded.
Regards,
Jean-Jacques.