[ALAC] Google Book Settlement Rejected

Jean-Jacques SUBRENAT jjs.global at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:32:42 UTC 2011

Dear Hong,

yes, many of us have been waiting for this ruling, and had some concerns
that Google's arguments would carry the day.

Unfortunately, the link you provided does not seem to operate (at least
here), so I'm providing another link, to The Guardian (I hope this one
resolves),
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/23/google-online-library-plan
s-thwarted

The concerns voiced in Europe about the Google Book project underlined
several points:
- under the guise of an initiative in favour of civilization, Google has
in fact developed a clever business model aimed at ensuring for itself a
position of world dominance, with severe contract obligations imposed upon
its partners;
- potentially, the creation of a world monopoly, not on a product but on
one of the treasures of human development, the visual support of knowledge;
- transforming what has traditionally been a "public service" (public
libraries) into a commercial venture, with the prospect of currently free
or low-cost services becoming accessible only against payment;
- a lack of transparency.

A question to you, Hong: does Google have the possibility of appealing
this latest judgment?

Regards,
Jean-Jacques.