[ALAC] Fwd: GAC Communique Brussels Intersessional

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Mar 5 04:00:09 UTC 2011

I have to agree with Jean-Jacques. Countries can
have the major impact on ICANN, not because they
have been given these rights by some treaty or
agreement, but because ICANN *wants* these
countries to support its existence. Without the
support of these countries, ICANN simply could
not continue to claim authority over Internet names and numbers.

What is different in the present case, is that
the various national governments are working in
concert to wield the authority which ICANN
(fortified by the AOC) has granted them.

It is a bit like having children. You want them
to grow up, but perhaps you would really like
them to follow your every desire instead of
theirs. That typically doesn't happen.

Alan