[ALAC] ALAC

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Jun 8 17:16:48 UTC 2011

Dear Marc,

thank you for your letter of resignation which I accept with deep regret.

I appreciate that the time demands which are placed on ALAC members are
high when wishing to be involved fully in ALAC processes, RALOs and
At-Large grassroots input to ICANN. It is something which we all have to
struggle with.

I also share your concerns regarding decisions by national governments
and other factors external to ICANN. However, our mission in ICANN is
limited to the by-laws under which we operate and this mission is quite
focussed. The responsibilities which were defined to avoid a scattering
of resources, are listed in Articles XI.4.a and XI.4.j and surpassing
those limits, although tempting, is not something which the ALAC should
do. The responsibility of the ALAC is to make the voice of Internet
users heard in ICANN - and this has to be done with the scarce resources
which we are afforded, both in funding and in volunteer time.

I have enjoyed working with you on the Internet Town Hall in San
Francisco and hope that you will remain in contact with the ICANN
At-Large community. I know that many members have appreciated meeting
you and will look forward to keeping in touch.

However, with your resignation, your participation in the ICANN
Singapore meeting cannot be justified and after consultation with the
Executive Committee, it was decided to enable another At-Large member to
travel to Singapore.

I trust that you will understand this, and wish you every success in the
future.

Sincerely,

Olivier Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair