[ALAC] My revised SOI

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jul 14 08:33:03 UTC 2011

Dear Danny,

you recently enquired about my involvement in the gTLD Team, as shown on:
http://gtldteam.com/team/

I can confirm that I was recently contacted by Hervé Rannou to perform
ad-hoc consulting work for his firm as an external consultant.
The extent of my involvement will be to consult on IPv6 issues. The
listing on the web page you mention is erroneous (and I am therefore
Cc'ing Hervé Rannou on this message) since I insisted for it to include
"IPv6 issues" to clear exactly the sort of question you've asked.

I run a company called Global Information Highway Ltd and this has done
extensive work with Alain AINA (TRSTECH Togo) over the years. The
company has also sold hardware in Kenya via Alex GAKURU. I've
participated as a volunteer (with travel & per diem expenses in some
cases) in EuroDIG (sponsored by the Council of Europe), but also the
Ukrainian IGF. Also a recent trip to Chennai, India, thanks to ISOC
Chennai.

I have strong links with ISOC, through ISOC England. ISOC has funded my
travels to 2 IGFs, as an ISOC ambassador. They have also partly funded
an IPv6 project which I directed. Also partly funding this project is
2020Media, a UK hosting provider also registering domains - but they are
also my company's ISP. My company's Web pages are hosted pro-bono by
PSG.COM, run by Randy Bush whom I have known for many many years. In the
distant past, I have facilitated the creation of .MK and .PS ccTLDs,
back in the days of Jon Postel. Back to the present, I am working on an
IPv6 project in the United Arab Emirates.

This is probably more than you have asked for, but it's all to tell you
that the Internet world is a small world. However, I am making sure to
not be involved directly with any new gTLD project by keeping my
expertise to IPv6 issues, which is what my company does. Since becoming
Chair of ALAC, I have refused close to half a dozen consultancy
proposals with potential new gTLD applicants, specifically because I
thought it would conflict with my current position.

I hope this answers your question. If I receive any more consulting
offers for IPv6, I'll be sure to update you all - but I do have bills to
pay at the end of the month. :-)

Kindest regards,

Olivier

--