[ALAC] The AGAT initiative

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 27 04:18:09 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

At its last meeting in Cartagena, the ICANN Board acknowledged that a number
of sticking points remain in the new gTLD approval/application process,
though most of the it is essentially settled. What remains are issues that
ICANN stakeholders have been trying to resolve with varying levels of
success.

There have been some remarkable areas of consensus, notably on the "Rec6"
Cross-community Working Group. However, much remains that has either been
unable to obtain full consensus by these groups or (in the eyes of many)
subject to significant misinterpretation by ICANN staff that has so far been
charged with the wording of the Applicant Guidebook.

At its meeting yesterday, the ALAC endorsed an initiative to create a small
working team focused on providing specific wording for the Guidebook on
specific areas that remain at an impasse, from an end-user centric point of
view. The intent is to deliver a direct and reasonably complete alternative
text that addresses the concerns that have been expressed through ALAC and
other stakeholders (including the GAC).

We are looking for help with this, but we need a group that is committed to
helping to both assess our intended direction and to help create specific
AG-ready working based on that.

The general framework of the Applicant Guidebook Alternate Text (AGAT)
effort can be found at
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALAC+Applicant+Guidebook+Alternate+Text

We have a significant amount of work and not much time in which to do it, so
any offers of assistance are greatly appreciated.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org