[ALAC] [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS New gTLD Applicant Support WG Charter

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 14 06:05:10 UTC 2011

Sending this message to both lists was probably a mistake, because I
suspect that those without posting rights on the other list will be
held for moderation or bounced.

In any case two small reply comments.

Regarding being kind, I was trying really hard to present what
happened and not editorialize. I know a bit sneaked in.

Regarding the chain of command, I was amused by that but not really
worried, as the chartering body is the NORMAL place to submit a
report, and if there is some reason that this needs to be bypassed
for expediency or whatever, I have faith that at least the ALAC would
bless that. If a document is submitted by the WG to (say) the Board,
it is still just a WG opinion and not that of the chartering body
(which is what caused my amusement.

Regarding what the ALAC does, it is a bit problematic. I also would
like to see the group continue on the path addressing a variety of
support methodologies. But I also see a real problem raising its head
if one of the first multiple-SO/AC chartered groups cannot really be
a joint operation. It does not bode well for future efforts.

Alan