[ALAC] Proposed statement of ALAC regarding current situation in Egypt / formal call for objections

Dave Kissoondoyal dave at isoc-mu.org
Wed Feb 2 17:34:48 UTC 2011

+1

Thanks and best regards

Dave Kissoondoyal MBA, ACMI
CE0 - KMPGlobal Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org
[mailto:alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Olivier MJ
Crepin-Leblond
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:13 AM
To: ALAC Working List; ICANN AtLarge Staff
Subject: [ALAC] Proposed statement of ALAC regarding current situation in
Egypt / formal call for objections

Dear members of the ALAC,

a few hours ago, I sent an email out to the At-Large and the ALAC lists, to
ask for feedback about a possible official statement to be made by ALAC. The
statement is as follows:

--- cut here ---

Statement of the ALAC regarding current situation in Egypt

The ALAC is concerned by the impact of developments in Egypt on the
ordinary Internet user. In the light of ICANN's responsibility for
Internet Protocol (IP) address and Autonomous System (AS) number
policy, and its core value of 'preserving and enhancing the operational
stability, reliability, security, and global interoperability of the
Internet', we endorse the ISOC statement and Q&A as expressed at
http://isoc.org/wp/newsletter/?p=3100

Signed: The At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)

--- cut here ---

Much support was received from ALSes, RALOs and ALAC members. Some comments
were received about making this a stronger statement, but I have also
received comments in private, asking for the statement *not* to be stronger.
Whilst there appears to be consensus on this statement, there is no
consensus on making it stronger.

With consensus on this statement, I should now call for a 5 day ALAC vote,
using normal procedures.
However, time is of the essence and with the amount of support which has
already been expressed on the discussion lists and by email, an expedited
procedure would be to ask for any objections from ALAC members.

I therefore ask if there are any objections from voting members of the ALAC,
for them to be sent to staff at atlarge.icann.org
*before* Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 22:00 UTC.

If no objections are received, I have asked At-Large Staff to email the
Board through official correspondence channels shortly after the deadline.

Kind regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair