[ALAC] Fwd: Re: Draft letter to House Energy & Commerce Committee

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 14 17:00:37 UTC 2011

Dear all,

there has recently been discussion on the NARALO list, regarding
hearings taking place in the US, including a hearing by the Senate
Committee on Science, Energy & Transportation (held Dec 8) and a hearing
by the House of Representatives Energy & Commerce Committee (held on Dec
14th -- i.e. today).
Evan has kindly explained what these are and how they can accept
comments, with clear links to the hearings. His message is included below.

Please find enclosed, a draft of the first letter from Beau Brendler,
NARALO Chair and co-signed by me, Chair of the ALAC, to be sent to the
Senate Committee by closing of business day today. It will be sent via
two paths, to the Chair of the Committee, John D. (Jay) Rockefeller.

Since this draft letter is not a policy paper or ALAC Statement but
rather a letter to tell the Senate "you wish to see end user input in
ICANN, hey look, here we are", it does not require a formal vote, but it
will be archived in our ALAC correspondence.

We shall also submit a similar letter to Chair of the the House of
Representatives Energy & Commerce Committee, Congressman Fred Upton,
should this be required. I understand that Kurt Pritz will be one of the
witnesses providing testimony in the hearing, so we'll have to see what
gets addressed at the hearing and if a completion of information is
required, no doubt that Beau and I would be happy to oblige.

Kind regards,

Olivier