[ALAC] IMPORTANT: US Senate hearings on new gTLDs

Omoba titi.akinsanmi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:50:08 UTC 2011

Good morning all and thanks Evan.

1. It's interesting for me that ICANN would approach responding to a criticism of this nature without utilizing all of it's emerging strengths. Specifically ensuring that proof of it's albeit  not quite equal multi-stakeholder nature is evident in it's representations beyond documents. Reactionism hardly ever helps ones case.
2.  This conversation even if happening within the US certainly is of a global nature and as such should certainly IMO, not be limited to representations from it's citizens alone. If indeed ICANN is to cease to be perceived as under the thumbs and will of the US government the approach of the hearings should certainly reflect that. Local concern but certainly of Global proportions in it's impact. We don't need another precedence setting that's hurts the system more that it helps even one entity within it.
3. If no opportunity to speak exists  a statement indicating the presence of and position of ALAC should certainly be brought to the attention of the hearings and all. What would be useful would be historical documents tracing ALAC interventions in the development of and ensuring end user rights were/ and are being put into consideration. The level of expertise represented an brought to bear in the ALAC should also be emphasized. In particular a clear statement on issues such as misinformation by unscrupulous Internet consultants raising 'panic' on new TLDs should be indicated.
4. Our primary role as ALAC is not only inward to ICANN but increasingly more outward as info sharer, clarifiers and trusted sources of 'truth'. If the body we are a part of us as yet bit leveraging our potential we owe it to those we represent to move and let them play catch up.

My few thoughts on a rainy Jozi morning.

www.omoba.co.uk