[ALAC] IMPORTANT: US Senate hearings on new gTLDs

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Dec 8 21:29:46 UTC 2011

On 08/12/2011 20:11, Evan Leibovitch wrote :
> Interesting note amongst the comments... many orgs have found themselves
> needing to buy defencive registrations in .XXX and are livid at the thought
> of having to do a bunch more for future TLDs. (For instance, Indiana
> University has purchased "hoosiers.xxx").

I think that what's happened, and was somehow expected, is that many
agents are marketing the .XXX gTLD as one for Porn and therefore telling
owners of other domains, that they can "block out" their name from being
used by a squatter in the .XXX space. I received such and email asking
me if I wanted to "block out" GIH.XXX for a fee.
No, I haven't got that email any longer since I immediately hit the
"delete" key.

> Now... I don't know if one has to be a US citizen to testify; if not the
> ALAC Chair or vice chairs (of which I am one) would all be good candidates
> and in fact the international character of ALAC sends a useful message IMO.
> But if the requirement is to be a US resident, I have complete and utter
> faith that NARALO's own leadership includes people (Beau, Ganesh, Eduardo)
> who could easily step into the role and do the community proud.
>
> Further to this, I would like to raise the issue as an agenda item on
> Monday's NARALO call and I would like us to consider letting the Committee
> know that there is indeed a group within ICANN that exists to provide the
> voice of Internet end-users,

How is one invited to testify? This could be a first step to check prior
to the NARALO call.
Kind regards,

Olivier

--