[ALAC] US to build its own "great firewall of China"

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Sep 29 16:29:14 UTC 2010

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5334/135/

So ICANN goes through all these motions to regulate trademarks,
objectionable strings, etc. -- and then the US just goes ahead and says
"doesn't matter, we will creatre our own domain takedown procedure".

This move affects every US-based domain, every US-based registrar and
registry, every US-base root server, and every foreign domain wanting to be
accessible from the US.

At one level, this should probably be a message to ICANN to get back to its
roots as a technical co-ordination body, because all of its policies about
content and rights -- no matter how developed -- are about to get overruled
anyway.

Or maybe ICANN will decide to devolve to its core competency -- serving as
an industry association for registrars and registries.

- Evan