[ALAC] EURALO / At-Large support for an open IGF

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Mon Dec 13 01:39:07 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I hope that all of you had a safe and (more or less) pleasant trip back home. And I want to reaffirm that I spent an exciting week and ICANN meeting with you.

Some of us have been at the IGF briefing last Thursday in Cartagena when we heard about the latest news from the devastating decision of the last extraordinary meeting of the United Nation's Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD) on 6 December to create a Working Group on Improvements to the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) with a membership made up *only of governments*. ISOC, the Internet Governance caucus and others have launched a petition in sending a letter to the CSTD, asking them to retract their previous decision and to establish an appropriately constituted Working Group that ensures the full and active participation of governments, the private sector and civil society from both developing and developed countries, involving relevant intergovernmental and international organizations and forums.

May be some of you have signed the ISOC petition already. If not, I dared to create a corresponding petition on behalf of EURALO and At Large to be spread in our RALO communities and related networks to collect as much support as possible.

As I was told, there will be another CSTD meeting next week in Geneva, and I would like to go there and to manifest our objections on behalf of our At Large community.

You can sign out petition here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/euralo-openigf/

Thanks for your support and kind regards,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87
Skype: Wolf-Ludwig