[ALAC] ALAC Rule of Procedure for Selecting Director

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 23 19:20:27 UTC 2010

Two thoughts...

First, although I support the concept of keeping a Liaison, I will
note that even with a Liaison, and I should add some VERY impressive
ones, we have not met our targets of being treated with sufficient
respect (if I may use that term to reflect a number of other things
as well). So simply having that position filled has not proven to be
the magic answer.

Second, I note the SoI includes the following two questions in section C:

         4. Provide a statement about what you would contribute in
the At-Large selected ICANN Board Director position to the At-Large Community:

         5. Please describe specifically how and why you will be able
to advance, at the ICANN Board, the interests of the At-Large
Community and the broader global community of Internet end-users.

It is up to the BCEC and then the electorate to select someone who
they believe WILL support the interests of At-Large as well as the
general user community. Of course, a Board member can only do that
when he or she believes it is also in the interests of ICANN, but
those two sets of interests are not necessarily at odds with each
other.  Make sure that your representatives on the BCEC and then the
electors know what we want.

Alan