[ALAC-LT] IMPORTANT: PAPER ON OFFICE OF DIVERSITY PUBLIC COMMENTS

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 13 15:47:52 UTC 2018

I'd like some quick input on this. In its statement on the WS2
Diversity Recommendation, we were silent on the Office of Diversity
(OOD). In light of this new request, I think that it is fitting that
we make a comment.

(I note that Sebastien is on of the key proponents of an OOD)

As important as diversity is, I find it troublesome that ICANN might
be dedicating more bureaucracy to it. As I noted in my comments on
the Specific Reviews Operating Standards
(https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-reviews-standards-17oct17/2018q1/000008.html),
I find that for the best of reasons, ICANN is building more and more
complex process, rules and bureaucracy. At a time when it is clear we
are going to have increasing budget constraint, this must be
controlled. If we consider issues such as this as sacred , then we
will see more and more other more discretionary budgets cut (and I am
predicting that if we don't change our philosophy, budget issues will
get MUCH worse).

So the questions are:

1. What are your views?

2. Should I go to the ALAC for a statement?

Alan