[ALAC-LT] URGENT ACTION: Decision regarding IANA Transition

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Sep 30 15:35:46 UTC 2016

Hello all,

On 30/09/2016 16:07, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> - The risk of the IETF Trustees going rogue is small and doing
> something really stupid. They are largely people we work with
> regularly. And the IETF itself is the one that would bear the brunt of
> such a problem.

There are checks and balances in the IETF too on how to address rogue
Trustees etc. So it is unlikely that this could happen, but not impossible.

> - The impact of them doing so on the names community would be awkward
> but not devastating or insurmountable.

Indeed. The names people can call the function anything - with no
technical incidence on anyone.

Even the Root is not called "IANA" anymore:

root at waikiki:/home/ocl# dig .

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-11ubuntu1.3-Ubuntu <<>> .
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;.                              IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10800   IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2016093000 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 20 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 30 16:25:31 BST 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

What this effectively says is that the A Root is under domain
root-servers.net

Whois Records:

   Domain Name: ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 2
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://networksolutions.com
   Name Server: A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Name Server: M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
[some irrelevant stuff deleted]

Domain Name: ROOT-SERVERS.NET
Registry Domain ID: 2751247_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2015-05-01T18:24:55Z
Creation Date: 1995-07-04T04:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2020-07-03T04:00:00Z
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse at web.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Reseller:
[some irrelevant stuff deleted]
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: VERISIGN INC.
Registrant Organization: VERISIGN INC.
Registrant Street: 12061 BLUEMONT WAY
Registrant City: RESTON
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20190-5684
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7039481212
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.7039483670
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: rocc at verisign.com
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: IANA Root Management, ICANN
Admin Organization: ICANN
Admin Street: 12025 Waterfront Drive #300
Admin City: Los Angeles
Admin State/Province: CA
Admin Postal Code: 90094
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.13103015800
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +1.13108238649
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: kim.davies at icann.org
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: NOC, Verisign
Tech Organization:
Tech Street: 12061 Bluemont Way
Tech City: Reston
Tech State/Province: VA
Tech Postal Code: 20190
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.7039481212
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.7039483670
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: rocc at verisign.com

Perhaps should the Board ask itself what happens if Verisign goes
rogue... or is sold to a company controlled by a country that doesn't
quite see the Internet in the same way we do.

> - We have built a process which is over-engineered (in my opinion).

+1 over-engineered in some parts and completely naive elsewhere.
Kindest regards,