[ALAC-LT] A thought on new gTLD "rounds"

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 15 16:23:20 UTC 2016

A few comments below...

At 15/09/2016 03:58 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
>Good morning Alan,
>
>I’m afraid this will lead to the same result.
>Even with categories, we failed to make the
>balance. Don’t forget that, for example, the
>community applications were evaluated by people
>who don’t know what’s a community and the
>result was that the only one supported
>application failed to pass the community evaluation, and then dropped.

Correct, and that is why the rules need to be
revised in this and in many other cases. I was
not proposing that we do anything immediately.

>We proposed to make a dedicated round for
>underserved regions and communities with a
>support program, but our proposal wasn’t listened to.

That is not quire correct. We suggested that this
be discussed, and it is on the list of things to
discuss within the ongoing gTLD PDP. That being
said, I am not convinced exactly what we need to
do. We have made very strong comments that except
in certain (relatively isolated) cases, the first
round of gTLDs has generated a lot of domain
speculation but it is unclear in many cases if
there are any real benefits. That is one of the
things that the CCT review is looking at.
Encouraging less developed areas to speculatively
invest in TLDs may not be doing them a big
favour. It is something we need to carefully consider.

>If you propose an alternative small round for
>dot brand and the like, I don’t see the
>interest of the endusers in that proposal, and
>I’m not convinced that it will serve the public interest.

The benefit to end users is that it could relieve
the pressure to open up a general round quickly,
and give us the time to understand the last round
and get it right the next time for the more
general type of TLD. If it is purely up to us, we
will wait to do the job properly before any new
TLDs are approved. But we are not the only voice.