[ALAC-ExCom] INFO - Be in a good mood in Singapore!

Gisella Gruber-White Gisella.Gruber-White at icann.org
Sat Jun 11 15:31:45 UTC 2011

Information passed on from Mary Wong

Alll the info you need to be nice and mellow in Singapore!

Affordable wines - the most reasonable wine shop I know is called Wine Connection, which specializes in easy drinking, tasty and unpretentious wines from Spain, France, etc. The nearest to the Convention Center where we will be is on Robertson Walk, off Mohamed Sultan Road, about 10 minutes' taxi ride from the Convention Center.

There is also a supermarket in the basement of the mall at the Convention Center where cheap Aussie (e.g. Jacobs Landing, Banrock Station) and US (e.g. Kendall Jackson) wines often go on sale for around US$20 per bottle (yes, still expensive compared to elsewhere). There is also a Marks & Spencer on the 2nd floor of the mall which has a small selection of very decent, drinkable wines starting at around US$18 a bottle.

For beer, each person can buy (I think) 3 cans of beer at Duty Free. However, because the alcohol content of beer is so much lower, the taxes really aren't that much, so you may be better off getting beers on special offer from the basement supermarket. Common brands include Heineken, Carlsberg, Sapporo, Guinness and of course the local lager, Tiger.

I thought I should mention that wine costs around US$8-10 (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a lot more) a glass in restaurants/bars, and bottles usually start at around US$35 (for the wines that would cost US$12 in a US wine store and around 10 Euro in France) and go up, up and up, depending on how fancy the place is), all before taxes of around 22% (combination of government tax, service charge and sales tax) just to give you and the other ICANN staff an idea of costs :)