[ALAC-ExCom] Fwd: Draft 2 of e-mail to JAS WG Co-Chairs

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Apr 28 17:29:48 UTC 2011

Dear ALAC ExCom:

Seth Green has very kindly worked on a first draft based on the
discussions and action items of our 28/04/2011 ALAC ExCom single issue
conference call. I have made a small number of amendments.
Please review ASAP & email me your own amendments. I'll then email a
copy to GNSO Council Chair to give him a headway and will then email the
Co-Chairs of the WG, CC'ing GNSO Council Chair + Vice Chair, as well as
the ALAC ExCom a couple of hours later.

Dear JASWG Co-Chairs,

As one of the two chartering AC/SOs of the JASWG, the ALAC would like to
offer certain recommendations, for your consideration, in order to boost
the WG’s efforts efficiently forward at this point.  It is the ALAC’s
hope that these recommendations will be taken in the spirit in which
they are intended – as guidance rooted in the shared goal of having the
JASWG fulfil its mandate within the agreed timetable.

The ALAC recommends that the JASWG – starting with its meeting on
Friday, 29 April – thoroughly review the “JASIssues and Recommendations”
summary document (located at
*https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/JAS+Issues+and+Recommendations*),
created by the JAS Drafting Team.   This document, once complete, will
define and summarize the JAS WG’s consensus on a select number of
important high-level issues, particularly:

    *
      The required criteria of applicants qualifying for support (i.e.
      who can qualify); and
    *
      What these applicants can expect to get.

These issues are covered in the document’s Parts 3 and 4, on which the
ALAC recommends the WG most strongly focus. As per the WG's Charter,
substantive outcome is sought particularly in these issues.

The goal of this review would be to facilitate the JASWG’s discussion –
and resolution – of those aspects of this document that are still
incomplete or for which there is still no clear WG consensus.  Please
note that many of these unresolved issues are currently marked in red
within the document.  We believe that the needed agreement on this small
number of high-level issues can be reached /without/ the WG’s also
having to agree, at this time, on the many underlying details it has
been discussing.

Specifically, the ALAC recommends that the JASWG go about the review of
this document – and reaching agreement on the issues it covers – in the
following way:

    * This document review could be efficiently moderated by the JASWG
      member most familiar with this document, Evan Leibovitch.
    * The document should be displayed in the meeting’s Adobe Connect
      Room so that all members are, quite literally, on the same page.
    * The changes on which the JASWG agrees should be made to the
      document during the discussion itself – that is, "in real time"
      during the WG’s meeting.

It is the ALAC’s hope that the JASWG, by focusing its work in this way
immediately (as of its 29 April meeting), will be able to successfully
reach a consensus on a number of fundamental issues in the few meetings
it still has before the 6 May deadline for its report to its chartering
organizations to be completed.

I and other members of the ALAC Executive Committee would welcome the
opportunity to discuss these suggestions with you further.