[ALAC-ExCom] Fwd: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: [council] Concerns over JAS Working Group and Violations of its Charter

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:08:52 UTC 2011

Dear All:
I'm in Haiti on mission and having some difficulty securing reliable
Internet access so I'm just picking up this thread.

I can say with finality that the first time I heard of a report due by
Friday to the Board was from a message I picked up a few hours ago from
Karla Valente.  Since I was not available for this past Tuesday morning's
JAS call, I cannot now comment on related discussions..or decisions.... made
there.

It might be unusual but as I understand it, the request is more so a kind of
milestone briefing. If confirmed and though 'unusual', it merits a response.
 For me, it also confirms an ICANN Board that is actively engaged with this
initiative.  And come to think, this might be the source of the heartburn
for some of the interests normally resident in the GNSO!

In terms of process, seems to me that it would be entirely rational for the
GNSO to be copied on whatever the WG decides is appropriately responsive to
the Board's request.

That way, we preserve the GNSO's self-ascribed  priestly intercessor role
for all communications to the Board.

Carlton Samuels
co-chair, JAS WG

Carlton A Samuels