[ALAC-ExCom] Loose ends to tie up

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Apr 6 19:17:49 UTC 2011

Dear ALAC ExCom members,

the past few weeks have seen a real surge of activity at ALAC.
First, we had the preparations of the San Francisco Meeting, with a race
to the finish to get as much work completed in the At-Large Improvements
Work Teams. Then we had a San Francisco meeting with the largest ever
number of sessions ever: 19 formal sessions and 2 cross-constituency
meetings. Add to this the NARALO showcase and the Internet Town Hall
event - plus all the work which everyone did outside of meetings,
speaking to people in other constituencies etc. Saying that it was a
busy week is indeed an understatement.

Post-ICANN San Francisco meeting, there usually is a week where everyone
attending recovers, staff included, from the exhausting 12+ hour days
(and nights) that we were all subjected to, in addition to recovering
from Jet Lag & travelling. It was also time for many of us to catch-up
with our daily lives, including work.

This time around, there was no such lull. We (the At-Large Community as
a whole) worked flat out for the following:

- a response to the GAC ScoreCard was sent to the GAC and to the Board
- ALAC comments on the NTIA Notice of Enquiry were sent to the NTIA

Finalised. Currently voting:
- a response to the public comment on Proposed New GNSO Policy
Development Process
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#gnso-pdp-final-report>
- a response to the public comment on Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy
Part B Working Group Proposed Final Report
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#irtp-b-proposed-final-report>
- a response to the public comment on Proposed Framework for the Fiscal
Year 2012 (FY12) Operating Plan and Budget
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#op-budget-fy2012>
- a response to the public comment on Draft Proposal for the Study of
Issues Related to the Delegation of IDN Variant TLDs
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#idn-variant-tld>
- a response to the public comment on Proposed Recommendations for a
Global Outreach Program
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#gnso-outreach>

To be finalised today & vote starting:

- a response to the public comment on The Security, Stability and
Resiliency of the DNS Review Team Set of Issues
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#ssr-rt-issues>

Still to be finalised (at various stages, including voting open) and
sent out:

- a response to the public comment on WHOIS Review Team
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#whois-rt>
- a response to the public comment on Post-Expiration Domain Name
Recovery Working Group Proposed Final Report
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#pednr-proposed-final-report>

With the current tidal wave of work coming close to completion, we still
have plenty of tasks pending:

- finalise recommendations from the At-Large Improvements Working Teams
so as to create a report to the ALAC. This will lead to the next stage
in the ALAC improvements.

- continue post-At-Large Selected Board Director de-briefings.
So far, the ABSdt has de-briefed the BCEC during a conference call --
but not enough BCEC members attended the call and a reminder should be
sent to remaining BCEC members for their post-process de-briefing. Next,
the ABSdt needs to de-brief the candidates. Past that, the ABSdt needs
to put together a report of lessons learnt from the full selection
process. I am hoping that a set of "best practices" might be developed
in order to include in our future "At-Large knowledgebase"

- review, revive, or archive working groups
The ALAC currently has a lot of working groups which appear not to be
that active. It is important for the ALAC to examine each working group
in turn, and decide on either archiving it, or reviving it. If a working
group is to be closed, I urge that the information about the group, its
findings, its work, its conversations, get archived properly in the
At-Large knowledgebase too.
For those working groups that are being revived, they need to be
publicised, and a clear set of goals set for each.
For new working groups that are being created, a procedure has to be
followed, along with a clear mission etc.

- prepare the joint session of the GNSO's Business Constituency (BC)
with At-Large. There should be an opportunity to exchange views between
the BC and ALAC prior to the Singapore meeting.

- Drive the JAS CWG forward. There's plenty of work to be done there,
with a tight deadline.

- Set-up an at-Large Knowledge Management System (which can contain
information such as the knowledgebase referred to earlier in this message)

- Prepare the next round of At-Large promotion with ICANN Comms Dept.
(Scott Pinzon)

That's all I can think about at the moment but I know there's much more
(DSSA-WT, other CWGs, etc.) I'd be grateful if Staff could complete this
list with the Action Items from San Francisco. I hear there were many,
so I guess we need to start chewing through these as well.

Finally, I think it's also time for me to really thank all of you for
working hard on all of those subjects. Since I have taken over the Chair
from Cheryl, I have been so impressed with the work done by all of you.
Some of you have gone further than anything that's to be expected from
an unpaid volunteer. I just want you to know that not only have I
noticed this and am I very grateful about this, but I have received
echoes from Board members as well as members of other constituencies
(GAC included) who have noticed the high quality of output and the
length we all go to, to collect the Internet's end user viewpoint, put
some shape to a statement and present it. I have even been asked by some
people about our method to keep volunteers involved and interested and
willing to spend time on writing statements. I did not know what to
answer - I just told them I was really lucky to have such a strong and
determined team around me.

My last words in this email go to At-Large Support Staff: Heidi,
Gisella, Seth, Marilyn. These post-ICANN-meeting couple of weeks have
been a white-knuckle roller-coaster ride. I am well aware that this
level of activity is completely unsustainable in regards to the staff
resources we currently have, especially in the light of the current
under-staffing status left by Matthias' departure. I can only offer my
most grateful thanks for all of your work. I don't know how you find
time to get some sleep. I am awed by the  miracles you perform daily.

In the future, we'll have to find a way to avoid such a situation from
happening again:
(1) fill that coordinator position
(2) immediately identify any peak of Public Comments and immediately
engage the process to spread them in time
(3) select the Public Comments which the ALAC should really respond to,
and not respond to - if possible. I am saying *if possible* because
there are times when *everything* needs commenting on because every
subject is important

That's all for today. I'm sure there's more, but I've reached my single
brain cell buffer limit for this hour.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html