[ALAC-Announce] Input Request:Preliminary Issue Report on Access by IGOs and INGOs to the Curative Rights Protections of the UDRP and URS

At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Wed Mar 12 12:17:25 UTC 2014

https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-10mar14-en.htm
Preliminary Issue Report on Access by IGOs and INGOs to the Curative Rights
Protections of the UDRP and URS
Comment / Reply Periods (*)
Comment Open Date: 10 March 2014
Comment Close Date: 14 April 2014 - 23:59 UTC
Reply Open Date: 15 April 2014
Reply Close Date: 6 May 2014 - 23:59 UTC
Important Information Links
Public Comment Announcement
<https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-10mar14-en.htm>
To Submit Your Comments (Forum)
<mailto:comments-igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14 at icann.org>
View Comments Submitted
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14/>
Brief Overview
Originating Organization: GNSO
Categories/Tags:
* Contracted Party Agreements
* Policy Processes
Purpose (Brief):
To obtain community input on the Preliminary Issue Report requested by the
GNSO Council concerning possible amendments to the Uniform Dispute
Resolution Policy and Uniform Rapid Suspension procedure, to enable access
to them by protected International Governmental Organizations and
International Non-Governmental Organizations.

Current Status:
The GNSO Council unanimously approved the IGO-INGO PDP Working Group's
consensus recommendations on 20 November 2013, as contained in the WG's
Final Report <http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-10nov13-en.pdf>
[PDF, 645 KB]. One of these recommendations was for an Issue Report on
amending the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy and Uniform Rapid Suspension
procedure to enable their use by protected IGOs and INGOs. As required by
the ICANN Bylaws, public notice is hereby provided of the publication of the
requested Preliminary Issue Report
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14-en.pdf>  [PDF,
288 KB] and of the opportunity to comment on it.

Next Steps:
ICANN Staff will prepare a summary of the public comments received that will
be submitted to the GNSO Council along with the Final Issue Report. The GNSO
Council will then vote on whether or not to initiate.

Staff Contact:
Mary Wong
Email Staff Contact
<mailto:policy-staff at icann.org?subject=More%20information%20on%20the%20Preli
minary%20Issue%20Report%20on%20Access%20by%20IGOs%20and%20INGOs%20to%20the%2
0Curative%20Rights%20Protections%20of%20the%20UDRP%20and%20URS%20public%20co
mment%20period>
Detailed Information
Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose:
The Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) unanimously approved at its
meeting on 20 November 2013 the consensus recommendations of the IGO-INGO
PDP Working Group, which are now pending Board action. The detailed
recommendations can be found in the Final Report
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-10nov13-en.pdf>  [PDF, 644
KB], with a summary provided within the GNSO Council motion
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20131120-2> . One of the
recommendations adopted was for the GNSO Council to request an Issue Report,
preceding a possible Policy Development Process (PDP), to examine
International Governmental Organization (IGO) and International
Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) access to curative rights protection
mechanisms such as the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and Uniform
Rapid Suspension procedure (URS).

Section II: Background:
For a detailed background and history of the issue on whether to protect
certain IGO and INGO identifiers prior to the initiation of the IGO-INGO
PDP, please see the Final GNSO Issue Report
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/protection-igo-names-final-issue-report-01o
ct12-en.pdf>  [PDF, 675 KB] on the Protection of International Organization
Names in New gTLDs. The IGO-INGO PDP Working Group (WG) was formed on 31
October 2012 and the WG Charter approved by the GNSO Council on 15 November
2012.  On 10 November 2013 the WG published its Final Report
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-10nov13-en.pdf>  [PDF, 644
KB] and sent it to the GNSO Council, incorporating feedback received in
response to its draft Final Report.  The WG's Final Report includes
supplemental documentation in the form of Minority Statements from various
WG members and their respective constituencies, including IGOs and INGOs who
may be affected by the recommendations under consideration.

The WG's consensus recommendations were unanimously approved
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20131120-2> by the GNSO
Council on 20 November 2013 and sent to the ICANN Board for its
consideration. One of the recommendations adopted was for the GNSO Council
to request an Issue Report, preceding a possible PDP, to examine possible
amendments to the UDRP and URS to enable access by protected IGOs and INGOs
to these curative rights protection mechanisms. ICANN staff has prepared the
requested Preliminary Issue Report
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14-en.pdf>  [PDF,
288 KB] and is posting it for public comment prior to preparing the Final
Issue Report for the GNSO Council's consideration and vote.

Section III: Document and Resource Links:
* Final Report on Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-10nov13-en.pdf>  [PDF, 645
KB]
> * Supplement A ­ Minority Positions
> <http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-minority-positions-10nov13-en.
> pdf>  [PDF, 216 KB]
> * Supplement B ­ WG Consensus Call Tool
> <http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-consensus-call-13nov13-en.pdf>
> [PDF, 203 KB]
> * Supplement C ­ Public Comment Review Tool
> <http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-public-comment-review-08nov13-
> en.pdf>  [PDF, 385 KB]
> * Supplement D ­ Red Cross Red Crescent Societies Identifier List
> <http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-rcrc-scope-names-10nov13-en.pd
> f>  [PDF, 616 KB]
* GNSO Council Report to the ICANN Board
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/council-board-igo-ingo-21jan14-en.pdf>
[PDF, 705 KB]
Section IV: Additional Information:
N/A

(*) Comments submitted after the posted Close Date/Time are not guaranteed
to be considered in any final summary, analysis, reporting, or
decision-making that takes place once this period lapses.