[AFRI-Discuss] Response to question on Individual Members

Sarah Kiden skiden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:58:27 UTC 2018

Dear Pastor Peters,

I hope this email finds you well. Following the just concluded AFRALO
monthly call, I had requested for some time to consult and clarify on the
question you raised.

You asked if we have been posting applications for AFRALO Individual
Membership to the AFRALO mailing list. The answer is no. Currently,
individual membership applicants send their forms to Staff, who perform due
diligence and forward the application to RALO leadership. During all our
monthly calls, members are informed of all applications (ALS or Individual
Membership) and once members agree, the applications are then sent to ALAC,
through Staff, for certification.

I crossed checked with ALS accreditation rules
<https://atlarge.icann.org/get-involved/about-als> and Individual
Membership rules
<https://community.icann.org/display/AFRALO/Individual+Membership+-+AFRALO+ROP+Review>
as drafted by the AFRALO Rules of Procedure Working Group and voted by our
members. While for ALSes it is clearly mentioned that the application will
be sent to RALO members, the Individual Membership rules do not mention
this.

When we accepted these rules, it was agreed that we would review the rules
after 2 years, so that means that the review will happen in 2019. Should
this be a requirement that members would like to add to the rules, we can
add it to the discussion points.

I hope this answers the question that you raised.

Kind regards,

Sarah Kiden
AFRALO Secretariat