[AFRI-Discuss] Joint meeting of African community in Dublin "IANA Stewardship transition and ICANN accountability - Africa perspective"

Dave Kissoondoyal dave at isoc-mu.org
Thu Oct 8 06:51:21 UTC 2015

Dear Aziz,

Some minor changes:

Original: - We are pleased to see that the ICG has taken in consideration
most of the issues raised in the AFRALO comments on the draft final
proposal.

Dave: - We are pleased to note that the ICG, on their latest draft, has
taken in consideration most of the issues raised through the comments made
by the AFRALO.

Original: - Nevertheless, we still have important concerns related to the
coordination between the operational communities when making critical
decisions like the separation of related IANA operations from the current
IANA function operator; we believe such decisions, if not well coordinated,
could have major impact on the security and stability of the Internet.
Though we understand that some informal relationship exist among the
operational communities, we believe it will be helpful if the 3 communities
formerly commit to coordinating with each-other whenever the need arises.

Dave:- Nevertheless, we still have important concerns related to the
coordination among the operational communities when making critical
decisions. Our concerns justify the fact that such decisions or actions,
like the separation of related IANA operations from the current IANA
function operator, if not well coordinated, could have major impact on the
security and stability of the Internet. Although we understand that some
informal relationship exists among the operational communities, we believe
it is important the 3 communities formally commit to coordinate with
each-other whenever the need arises. Hence there is a need to have a formal
covenant in place to spell out this coordination.

Original: - We would like to congratulate the CCWG for the huge work done so
far. We notice that the finalization of its work may be delayed and would
hope that the group manages to deliver its final report on time in
accordance with the transition time-lines.

Dave:- We would like to congratulate the CCWG for the tremendous work done
so far. However, we are worried that the completion of its work may be
delayed. We sincerely hope that the group manages to deliver its final
report on time in accordance with the transition time-lines.

Original: - While we welcome the ICANN Board comments on the second report
of CCWG, especially those related to the budget veto, the recall of
individual board Directors, and the enforceability of the proposed community
powers, we believe that their proposal of exercising the community powers
through the Chairs of SOs and ACs is not appropriate: we already expressed
our disagreement about this issue in our statement on the first CCWG report.

Dave: - We welcome the ICANN Board comments on the second report of CCWG
especially those related to the budget veto, the recall of individual board
Directors, and the enforceability of the proposed community powers. However,
we believe that their proposal of exercising the community powers through
the Chairs of SOs and ACs is not appropriate. We have already expressed our
disagreement and concern on this issue in our statement on the first CCWG
report and hope that the Board will reconsider our specific concern.

Original: - We reiterate our proposal of merging the powers of spilling the
whole Board and recalling individual board members in a single one where the
community as a whole can recall ICANN Board directors after giving the
justification of this decision. They can recall from one to 15 Directors,
means the whole directors except the CEO. This will solve several problems
such as an equal treatment of all the Board directors (SO/AC appointees and
the NomCom appointees), the replacement of the recalled directors avoiding a
reduced interim board. It will also make it simpler to reduce the number of
the proposed powers.

Dave: - We reiterate our proposal for a single community power to recall
either the individual board members or the whole ICANN Board, which we
admit, will be in exceptional cases. This will empower the community as a
whole can recall ICANN Board directors after giving the justification of
their decision. They can recall from one to 15 Directors, which means the
whole Board except the CEO. This will ensure an equal treatment for all
Board directors (SO/AC appointees and the NomCom appointees). It will solve
the problem of replacement of the recalled directors avoiding a reduced
interim board. One single Community Power will also make it simpler and
reduce the number of the proposed powers.

Original: - Besides, spilling the whole board is not really reasonable since
at any time, there are on the board directors who we just appointed, others
in the middle of their term, and some about to leave. Recalling those we
just appointed is a non sense. However we will support it if that becomes
ultimately required.

Dave: - We acknowledge the fact that spilling the whole board is not really
reasonable. We are aware that at any time, on the ICANN Board, there are
directors who we just been appointed, others are in the middle of their
term, and some about to leave. Recalling those who have just been appointed
is inappropriate. However we will support it if that becomes ultimately
required.

Original: - We would like to stress the importance of the IANA stewardship
transition process and the ICANN accountability mechanisms to the African
Internet community as a safe guard for the future of the Internet growth and
development in our continent which is currently experiencing the highest
Internet access rates in the world.

Dave: - The IANA stewardship transition process and the ICANN accountability
mechanisms are extremely important to the African Internet community as a
safe guard for the future of the Internet growth and development in our
continent. As Africa is currently experiencing the highest Internet access
rates in the world, we the African Community participate actively and
support both IANA stewardship transition process and the ICANN
accountability mechanisms. We are here to contribute in the processes for
the benefit of the Internet community at large.

Best regards

Dave