[AFRI-Discuss] [AfrICANN-discuss] Joint meeting of African community in BUENOS AIRES "African views on the Proposal of the Governance of Internet unique identifiers"

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Jun 18 07:18:21 UTC 2015

Thank you Aziz,

I know this statement was released a while ago, and we should have weighed
in on it on time. I am guilty as charged.

>From the draft, I can see we have weighed in more on the transparency and
accountability track, and the naming function of the IANA transition. We
need to be balanced and "wholesome" in our statement. It would have been
good if the community can also comment on the transition of the other two
operational communities proposals, the IETF and the Numbering community. We
all agree these are part of the "Internet unique Identifiers".

I will draft a paragraph or two on the numbering functions. Perhaps, we can
have somebody else do the same for the IETF proposal?

However, I disagree with this statement on IANA trademarks:
"We observe that the CWG proposes to transfer IANA assests (sic) including
the IANA trademarks; we are in disagreement with this as we will prefer
that the trademarks remain with the contractor post-transition (which is
ICANN)"

My observation would be to allow more dialogue between the three
operational communities (names, numbers, protocol parameters) that utilize
the IPR (iana.org and IANA trademarks), and ensure there is consensus on
what to do with them. You will realize the numbering community had proposed
the IPRs remain in the public domain by being transferred to a neutral
entity which would then license the IPRs to the IFO to serve the
operational communities in perpetuity for free. The idea was, in the
unlikely event in future one community decides to transfer the IANA
functions related to them, then they should still be able to access the IPR
unrestricted.

So the statement should have read something like "More dialogue is needed
between the three operational communities (names, numbers, and protocol
parameters) on transfer of IANA assets including the IANA trademark and
iana.org domain. The community should ensure there is consensus in the
final outcome."

Sincerely,

NB: Sent in my personal capacity.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson