[AFRI-Discuss] Fwd: Re: Change in Civil Society Speakers

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 07:50:20 UTC 2015

FYI

"We have just been informed that OPGA has made two changes to the civil
society speakers nominated for WSIS+10. Tatiana Kapinga, who was unable to
secure a US visa, and Anriette Esterhuysen, who was unable to stay to
address the meeting, were replaced by Deborah Brown of APC and Matthew
Shears of Center for Democracy and Technology.

"While not wishing to be critical of either of the people chosen, The Civil
Society Selection Committee believes that, despite the short timeframe,  it
should have been consulted about these changes. In particular, we are
concerned that the changes made by OGPA resulted in four of our five
speakers being from WEOG areas. This lack of geographic balance is
unfortunate, and could have been avoided.

"We will convey our disappointment to OPGA at a later stage, but wanted
civil society networks to be aware of this issue."

Compliments