[AFRI-Discuss] Welcome to LONDON ICANN 50 - Visa issues

Paulyn Jansen jansen at ayf.de
Wed Jun 25 17:10:18 UTC 2014

Dear Organizers,

The issue of young people being denied visas to such countries for meetings, should be another issue to be discussed among others.

Our representative also suffered this issue of visa refusal in Germany to the meeting in London which in my opinion, doesn't augur well for the young people that we expect to have some experience in their development.

The inability of young people to travel to most European countries for meetings due to some pertinent reasons best known to some European embassies has to be seriously addressed. How do these young people get any travel experience if they are first not allowed to travel?

Our representative, unfortunately a Zimbabwean, (as if it is a crime to be a Zimbabwean) who has a Schengen visa, but with UK not being part of the schengen countries, had to apply for a visa, was delayed for 12 weeks (3 months) only to be refused in the last minute for obvious political reasons.

This attitude from most European embassies is against human rights as it is not the fault of anyone to be born in a certain country, or not to have the faces of people attending meetings; or not SUPER rich to guarantee an ever fruitful and faithful life in the European countries they visit.

When young Germans want to visit the US or Canada for example, no one even enquires about a return reservation. They just go through because they are young people trying to have a look at the other side of the world. When it comes to ESPECIALLY Africans with the same status as our German Youth, bearing responsibilities in their country of residence, they are denied the chance to move an inch because of course..................!

It would be appreciated if organizations like ICAAN in such instances, take some time to make their voices heard on such issues too.  The AYF has screamed enough about such discriminatory treatment in Germany. Others can also join for the good of the African youth.

Regards

Paulyn Jansen