[AFRI-Discuss] Nominations

Peters Omoragbon petersomoragbon2 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 04:27:22 UTC 2014

Sure, that may not be a factor, but a continent as diverse as Africa should be sensitive to the interest of all players and stakeholders.
The ICANN 50 just concluded resolved to make the stakeholders or the end users the 'heart' of ICANN and not the players. For a continent that has been polarised by our colonial masters into religious, lingual, and sub regional divide, leaders should be very careful in carrying everybody along so that some group should not feel marginalised.

Last year before Phillip and AZIZ were both ADOPTED as Secretary and Chairman of AFRALO, together with El Bashi as Vice Chairman, I had cause to protest on the open partisanship demonstrated by the LEADERS of AFRALO in their support of candidates, which largely influenced the bandwagon support by the FOLLOWERS to the CHOSEN candidates. Not that I had anything against the qualifications of either candidates but that  our LEADERS should not openly support ANY candidate since they now represent all of us. They could do their underground campaign if they like but the most honourable thing to do is cast their votes when there is tie or just cast their votes when voting without campaigning for any candidate.

I equally argued then that all the positions accruing to Africa within ICANN from AFRALO to ALAC and NOMCOM has been lopsidedly being occupied by same circle of people . Even though African representation within ICANN was increasing the leadership positions has not shifted from that same group. I did protest to the ICANN Ombudsman but his decision was laced with bias.
 As a result I withdrew my nomination in protest but still continued to be active within ICANN.
NOW just less than one year of his election as Secretary, Phillip Johnson is now being sacrificed by the same people that brought him in order to satisfy the desires of the POWERS that be within AFRALO.

WHAT IS MY BONE OF CONTENTION? When ICANN opened the call for nomination in AFRALO leadership, it was very very wrong for both El Bashir and Aziz to nominate anyone for the posts declared. Not that they don't have the right to so nominate BUT it belittled their positions as leaders in AFRALO. That was my grudge with the immediate past Chair last year. Now history is repeating itself.
What was it that qualified Phillip to be Secretary that one year later has disqualified him? THe young man has dutifully performed all his roles as sec this past one year, and just when we are to consolidate his growing experience , he is been dumped for another CHOSEN! HE was very effective at the ICANN 50 and others before that. How do we breed leaders if all we do is use and dump, use and dump!

Today El Bashi occupies or rather wear two caps within ICANN by virtue of his being an AFRALO member. He is currently the Vice Chair in AFRALO. If he is so sincere with his nomination of Barrack because of Barrack's "extra ordinary expertise".  He Bashi should have stepped down for Barrack to represent AFRALO in the newly constituted IANA Functions Stewardship  Transition Committee. But he accepted this together with  his position as Vice Chair of AFRALO. I am quite sure when Aziz first tenure expires he is going to seek re election for a second term in office just as others before him did! It is their rights remember?,  because our rules allow it. So why would Phillip be denied the same opportunity? I have nothing against Barrack, I am being objective here, because the cane with which the husband used in beating the first wife before marrying another will still be used to beat the new wife at the appropriate time . Last year it was Phillip! Phillip! This year it's Barrack , Barrack. Why can't we be consistent for once as a continent?

All those supporting Barrack today should tell us what Phillip has failed to do to put him in their bad books that suddenly they just realized there is a messiah now in Barrack? Why was not Barrack  nominated last year?

PHillip was not my candidate last year , but since he was elected by a majority of us, I accepted him with otters as my leader if he must be changed, we must be availed the reasons for such decision . It is not enough to say, we are exercising our right of choice. Our choice must carry a burden of responsibility to our consciences.

NOw that the discussion is on about amending our operating principles or guidelines, Nurses Across the Borders with like minded ALS will soon put up a proposal for the ROTATION of all leadership positions for AFRALO amongst the Six sub regions of Africa. We need it now before we shoot our selves on the feet by omission of commission.

You may hate my guts but I will never be afraid to speak out when I see things going wrong. Evil can only thrive when the good men within that society keep quiet. I will keep quiet ONLY after my last breathe on this planet.

May the peace of The Lord be upon you all, including me amen.

Sent from my iPad
Pastor Peters Omoragbon
Permanent Representative to the United Nations for Nurses Across the Borders Inc
Designated Contact Person for the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change-UNFCCC
Executive President/CEO Nurses Across the Borders
International Liaison officer Nigerian Nurses Charitable Association-UK
Treasurer Central Association of Nigerians in the UK-CANUK
Fellow Open Society Institute -Budapest
Fellow Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers-ICAAN.
Deputy National Chairman National Conscience Party of Nigeria -NCP South South Zone.