[AFRI-Discuss] AFRALO Statement on the coming Brazil Internet Governance Conference ( April 2013 )

Baudouin SCHOMBE b.schombe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 11:27:20 UTC 2013

I support this statement but we must insist on the importance of the need
to implement the national platforms on internet governance.* It is from the
national need to build the principle of "multi-stakeholder".*

AFRALO Statement on the coming Brazil Internet Governance Conference (
 April 2014 )
The internet services have experienced exponential growth in Africa.  This
has allowed millions of Africans to connect to the internet and benefit
socially and economically.
Only 16% of the continent's 1-billion people are online. Africa is now in a
better position to benefit from the internet as a catalyst for economic and
social development especially as it is currently experiencing a huge growth
of international bandwidth and capacity. However, this economic and social
growth cannot prosper without trust built within an inclusive internet
governance mechanism, at regional level and worldwide.
That's why AFRALO supports the Montevideo statement for the future of the
Internet issued by the Internet Technical Organizations and emphasizes the
need to globalize ICANN, including its IANA function, as an organization
that serves the internet communities specially in emerging and developing
Africa.
In order to sustain the current and future growth of the Internet in
Africa, AFRALO  supports the upcoming Brazil Internet Governance Conference
based on the below principles :
-         The conference and stakeholders participating should express
their continued commitment to keep the internet open and accessible for the
benefit of all people
-         Importance of keeping a globally coherent Internet, and avoid
Internet fragmentation at a national or regional levels
-         The conference should not be an alternative or replacement of the
current Internet Governance forums to ensure coordination with the global
IG discussions
Finally, AFRALO is committed to actively participate and support the
"/1Net" initiative, and will make the necessary outreach in its community
of African At-Large Organizations and continue advocating for the Internet
multi-stakeholder model .

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*
*REPRESENTANT OFFICIEL TICAFRICA ET CYBERVILLAGE at FRICA/RDC*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFECCOORDINATION NATIONALE REPRONTIC*

Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr